Almost weekly I receive e-mails and telephone calls asking for me to recommend churches which teach grace giving principles instead of tithing. Unfortunately there is not a simple answer to this question.
This is because graduates of seminaries which teach grace giving principles often teach tithing in their own local churches (like Wheaton, Moody and Dallas).
Peersonally, I prefer that you stay in a tithe-teaching church rather than drop out of church altogether. We all need the fellowwhip of other Christians in order to grow spiritually.
I would appreciate names and addresses of churches which do not teach tithing. With your approval I will gladly post them on this web site at the conclusion of this article.
(1) Almost all churches associated with Dallas Theological Seminary, Wheaton College, Moody Bible Institute and John MacArthur's Master's Seminary do not teach tithing. Dallas and MacArthur oppose it in writing. Wheaton's top theolgian Walter Elwell oppsed it and we have corresponded. Moody is neutral but publishes a lot of pro-tithing books for Larry Burkett and his friends. Check with the seminaries for your area.
Churches often have the title "Community" in their name or claim to be interdenominational. However many churches with "Community" names are charismatic and strong tithe-teachers.
(2) According to the SBC Facts and Trends report I have on my web site 20% of their own pastors do not teach tithing but I have not found any of them. I wish that they would speak up.
(3) Many, if not most, Primitive Baptist Churches do not teach tithing.
(4) The Wisconsin Synod of the Lutheran Church does not teach tithing. They are almost a closed society. I do not agree with their view of con-substantiation. Their top theologian L C H Lenski strongly opposed tithing. I think that the conservative Missouri Synod does teach tithing and that the liberal ALC/LCA does not.
(5) Most churches which call themselves Church of Christ formerly did not teach tithing but they are changing. They boasted that all of their doctrines came after Calvary. Although I do not agree with their theology of immersion as a requirement of salvation, it is a good alternative for many.
I am not referring to the ultra liberal United Churches of Christ or to the cultic Atlanta Church of Christ.
(6) Many churches which use the name, Christian Church, do not teach tithing. This church has both liberal and conservative branches. The Disciples of Christ, a more liberal branch, is also called the Christian Church and the Church of Christ was an eearly division from the Disciples of Christ Christian Church.
(7) Many of the more liberal churches do not teach tithing. This is because they attribute the books which discuss tithing such as Numbers, Leviticus and Deuteronomy to very late or post-exile and the doctrine did not exist under Moses if he even existed.
(8) Most house churches do not teach tithing. It is often one of the reasons for their existence as house churches.
(9) There are even Apostolic ministries which agree with us on tithing as Apostle Carlin.
I am open for corrections and additions, especially additions.
ALABAMA. Hanceville, The Hope Center-805 Main St SW (Hwy 31 S)
ALABAMA; Mobile, St Stephens AME, Dr Harrison Wilson
ALABAMA: VINELAND PARK REFORMED BAPTIST, HUEYTOWN
ARIZ, MESA; NEW COVENANT BIBLE FELLOWSHIP
ARIZ, PHOENIX: ABIDING IN CHRIST BAPTIST FELLOWSHIP
ARIZ, Tiempe, NEW COV BIBLE FELLOWSHIP
CALIF, Bakersfield, Grace Baptist
CALIF, WEST COVINA, CHRIST COMMUNITY CHURCH
CALIF, PALO ALTO, PENINSULA BIBLE CHURCH
CALIF, SUN CITY, GRACE COMMUNITY CHURCH
COLO, ARVADA, GRACE CHURCH
COLO, LITTLETON, FOOTHILLS BIBLE CHURCH
FLA, DELAND, BIBLE BAPTIST OF DELAND
FLA, HERNANDO, RIVERSIDE CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP
GEORGIA, ACWORTH, IRON HILL BAPTIST
GEORGIA, SHARPSBURG; FAITH BIBLE CHURCH
GEORGIA; Gainesville, Feed My Sheep Church
GEORGIA, Lawrenceville, Church of the Lutheran Confession
GEORGIA, TUCKER, Faith Christian Church
GEORGIA, WASHINGTON, TREE OF LIFE MINISTRIES
GEORGIA, WOODSTOCK, Prayer and Praise
INDIANA, AVON; GRACE FELLOWSHIP CHURCH
IND, INDIANAPOLIS; SOLID WORD BIBLE CHURCH
KANSAS, LYONS, FIRST BAPTIST 11-2010
KANSAS, OVERLAND PARK, REDEEMEER FFLLOWSHIP
MICH, Detroit; Kingdom Living Ministries 13509 Gratiot
MINN, ST PAUL; WOODLAND HILLS CHURCH
MINN-ST PAUL, TWIN CITIES FELLOWSHIP
MISSOURI, EMMA; Lutheran, Rev Snyder
MISSOURI, KANSAS CIY, KOINONIA BIBLE CHURCH
MISSOURI, KANSAS CITY, NEW CITY CHURCH
MISSOURI, St Louis, Victory Way Missionary Baptist
N. CAROLINA; APEX, TRIANGLE COMMUNITY CHURCH
N. CAROLINA; CROSSROADS BIBLE FELLOWSHIP
N. CAROLINA, WILMINGTON, SURFSIDE FELLOWSHIP
OHIO, CHESAPEAKE; UNION MISSIONARY BAPTIST
OHIO, CINCINNATI; NEW TESTAMENT CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP; 631 DEVITO AVE
OHIO, CLEVELAND, City View Baptist
OHIO, E CLEVELAND, NEW BIRTH CHURCH
OHIO, DAYTON; GRACE CHRISTIAN CENTER
OKLAHOMA, ENID: EMMANUEL BAPTIST SBC
OKLAHOMA, TULSA: Prayer Centre, Dave Roberson
PROTESTANT REFORMED CHURCHES OF AMERICA
TENNESSEE, GALATIN/HENDEERSONVILLE, GRACE CHURCH
TEXAS, ARLINGTON, Paradise Primitive Baptist Church
Texas, Austin, Austin Bible Church
Texas, Conroe, Lakeside Bible Church
TEXAS. HOUSTON, Mills Road Baptist, Dave Goodgame
TEXAS, NOCOMA, First Baptist, Dave Woodbury
TEXAS, THE WOODLANDS, THE CHCURCH AT ALDEN RIDGE
TEXAS, VIDOR, TORCH OF CHRIST MINISTRIES
UTAH, TREMONTON, CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH
WV, CULLODEN, GraceLifechurch, James Wright
VIRGINIA, Ridgeway, Paradise Temple; Jones
VIRGINIA: Sandston; Tabernacle of Truth, H Pollard Jr
Sampson, Rodney, Bishop,
England, London, All Souls, Langham Place
Canada, Saskatoon, Abundant Grace Fellowship, Ron Mills
South Africa, Cape Town; Separate World Assy; Anchor of Faith International
IMMANUEL FOUNDATION MINISTRIES
PO BOX 31030 CLOCK TOWER
KAMPALA UGANDA EAST AFRICA
MAKINDYE HILL VIEW