NEHEMIAH (446 - 434? B. C.)
Baptist Church Bible Institute
3rd year, 2nd semester; email@example.com
This is a faith ministry.
Your assistance is appreciated.
1. 1:1 When was Nehemiah written and under which ruling empire?
2. 1:3 Over 90 years after the Jews returned from Babylon in 539 B. C., what news did Nehemiah receive
from Judea while he served in the palace of the Persian king?
1:5 What was the key part of Nehemiah's prayer for restoration?
2:1, 8 These two texts begin the most exact time prophecy in God's Word. Write the one verse in Daniel 9 which best corresponds
5. 3 all: How many gates are listed here?
Chapter 4 describes Judah having to arm itself while the wall was being built.
6. 5:7-8 What were the Jews doing that angered Nehemiah?
7. 6:16 How did the enemies of Judah respond when the wall was finished?
Chapter 7 repeats the list of those who returned under Zerubabbel as found in
8. 8:5 What did the people do when Ezra opened the book of
9. 8:6 In what position did they pray?
10. 8:17 As Ezra read the book of the Law, what holy week did they discover had
not been obeyed since the days of Joshua?
Chapter 9 is a covenant
renewal following a rehearsal of Israel's history to the present time.
11. 10:29 What three parts of the Law did the covenant include?
12. 10:30-34 List 4 more requirements.
10:35-37a Where were the firstfruits to be taken?
14. 10:37b Where was
the first whole Levitical tithe to be taken?
15. 10:38-39 What portion
of the tithe was to be taken to the temple?
Chapter 11 lists the
family heads which lived in Jerusalem and the cities of Judah. One tenth of the population was required to live there.
Chapter 12 describes the families of Levites and priests and where they lived.
16. 12:44 Does this sound like storage-rooms or large silos?
17. 13:4-6 The "great chamber" probably refers to 2 large chambers
of 10' by 10' each. While Nehemiah was in Persia, what had Eliashib the high priest removed from the chamber he allowed
the Moabite to dwell in adjacent to the Temple?
18. 13:7-10 Why had the
Levites gone home and stopped working at the temple?
19. 13:11-12 What did
this emergency restocking include from 13:5?
20. 13:15-24 How were
the people still disobeying the covenant Law?
21. 13:28-30 What did
Nehemiah do to the priesthood?
1:1 Nehemiah was written approximately 446-434 B. C. while serving the Persian Empire.
2. 1:3 "The remnant that are left of the captivity there in the province are in great affliction
and reproach: the wall of Jerusalem also is broken down, and the gates thereof are burned with fire."
3. 1:5 God is merciful and keeps His covenant promises with those who obey Him.
4. 2:1, 8 Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of
the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two
weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
3:all ten gates: (1) sheep, 3:1 priests, (2) fish, 3:3, (3) old, 3:6, (4) valley, 3:13, (5) dung, 3:14, (6) fountain, 3:15,
(7) water, 3:26, (8) horse, 3:28, (9) east, 3:29, (10) Miphkad, 3:31
5:7-8 The Jews were charging Jews usury (interest) and confiscating their property (against the Law of Moses).
7. 6:16 They attributed it to the God of the Jews.
8. 8:5 They stood.
9. 8:6 They prayed with
uplifted hands and faced the ground.
10. 8:17 The feast of
booths (tabernacles) (living in tents to remind them of leaving Egypt). This ended the religious year.
11. 10:29 (ten) commandments, civil) judgments, (worship) statutes
12. (1) :30 not to marry outside of their religion
(2) :31 Not to buy or sell on the sabbath
:32-33 to support the temple with a yearly temple tax
(4) :34 take turns supplying
firewood for the temple
13. 10:35-37a bring firstfruits to the
officiating priests at the temple
14. 10:37b-38 bring tithes
to the Levites and priests in the farming cities
15. 10:38-39 Levites
were to bring the tithe of the tithe to the temple (for the officiating priests) (along with their own food from the tithe).
16. 12:44 According to First Kings 6:6 the largest
chamber was about 10' square. It only held enough food and supplies for the weekly rotation of priests and Levites. See
also verse 47.
17. 13:4-5 The flour offerings, frankincense,
cooking utensils, tithes of the wheat, new wine and oil.
18. 13:7-10 The priests
had stolen the Levites' portion of the tithes and they had nothing to eat. Notice that the priests apparently had food
19. 13:11-12 The tithe of the wheat, new wine
and oil to feed the Levites when they returned.
(1) :15-22 working, buying and selling on the sabbath
(2) :23-24 interracial marriage
21. 13:28-30 He cleanse
d the priesthood.