Should the Church Teach Tithing?
A Theologian’s Conclusions about a Taboo Doctrine
Russell Earl Kelly, PHD
GOD’S PLAN OF SALVATION
assembled by Russell Earl Kelly
- You can know for sure whether or not you have personally experienced salvation.
Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God. KJV
2 Tim 1:12 … I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. [knowledge; not guessing or hoping]
1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. KJV [know]
- Admit that you are a sinner in need of salvation. The Holy Spirit convicts of the need to believe in Christ. The mere acknowledgment of sinfulness is proof of the Holy Spirit’s conviction.
John 16:7-11 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. KJV
- Confess your faith in Jesus as Savior and His resurrection. Saving knowledge of Jesus as the Savior comes from a heart yielded to God. Conviction that Christ has been resurrected is supernatural revelation from God. Saving faith is demonstrated when we openly confess our faith in Jesus Christ. We can then claim to possess salvation because God’s Word has promised it to us.
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. KJV
- You must claim the promises of God’s Word.Believe that God has kept His promises in His Word. This is where inner peace comes from (not from our works of obedience which will surely follow). Our “feelings” are not a necessary “proof” of our relationship with God. You don’t have to FEEL saved in order to BE saved any more than you always have to feel married in order to be married.
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power [authority] to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. KJV
- Having been saved, you should have an ACTIVE CONSCIENCE. This is a reminder that you are a new “creation” [born again] with a new desire to obey your Heavenly Father. Those without an active conscience have (a) either never been saved or (b)fallen out of fellowship with God and are sure to be disciplined.
Romans 9:1 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit. (also 1 Pet 3:20,21) [the still small voice]
- Peace accompanies salvation.You are an adopted child of God in a secure relationship because all of your sins have been forgiven (1 John 3:2; Colossians 2:13; Rom 8:30-39). Sins committed after the new birth should be confessed because they can remove “fellowship” but nor relationship (1 John 1:3-9).
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. KJV
- Your lifestyle and desires should be different from those around you who do not profess to have been saved.You, not they, are a new creation with new desires and spiritual abilities to serve God.
2 Cor 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. KJV
- Habitual sacrificial love for the brethren should control our life decisions.
1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth G od. KJV
1 John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also. KJV
- Offer forgiveness to those who have sinned against you whether or not they deserve it.
1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loves not his brother abides in death. KJV
- Habitually confess and overcome new sins as you continue growing in Christ.
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. KJV
These accomplishments must fit into the category of miracles because they are against our sinful nature.
BROCHURE: BY RUSS KELLY
PLAN OF SALVATION
- POSSIBILITY: It is possible to know you have been saved.
1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. KJV
- PREDICAMENT: We all have the same problem concerning sin.
Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. KJV
- PARADOX: Eternal death and eternal life are opposites from the presence of God.
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. KJV
- PENALTY: Perfect forgiveness requires the blood of a perfect sacrifice.
Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. KJV
- PROVISION: Christ became our Perfect Sinless Substitute sacrifice.
Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. KJV
2 Cor 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. KJV
- PROCESS: Salvation is received as a free gift from God by grace through faith.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. KJV
Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. KJV
- PROFESSION: Confession of faith in Christ results in salvation.
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. KJV
- PROMISE: God promises salvation as the product of real heart-faith.
John 1:12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. KJV
Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. KJV