VICTORY BAPTIST CHURCH
BIBLE INSTITUTE, VBCBI
1 CORINTHIANS 1-8, VBCBI
THIS IS A FAITH MINISTRY. YOUR SUPPORT IS APPRECIATED.
1st CORINTHIANS 1-8; VBCBI, 2ND YEAR, 1ST SEMESTER; TEACHER: Russell Earl Kelly, PHD
1. What was the reputation of the city of Corinth?
2. Why did Corinth need the gift of tongues more than other cities?
3. 1:2 Who are “saints” in the Bible?
4. 1:10-13 Why are First and Second Corinthians such long letters?
5. 1:14-16 Catholics, Episcopalians, Lutherans and the Church of Christ teach that water baptism is essential for salvation. What does Paul’s attitude tell us about that?
6. 1:17-18 What is “the gospel” equivalent to in these texts?
7. 1:21 How do unbelievers often view the preaching of the gospel? (Also 1:23.)
8. 1:27-28 How does lost man see foolishness in the Gospel? See class discussion.
9. 2:7 What is “the hidden wisdom of God” “ordained before the world “?
a) 2:9 “the things which God hath prepared for them that love him?“
How and when is it already revealed?
b) 2:10 ____ _____ _____; _____
10. 2:14 Who is the “natural man”?
______. What does Wilmington call him? ________
11. 2:15-16 Who is the “spiritual man”?
______________________. What does Wilmington call him? _________
12. 3:1 Who is the carnal baby in Christ?
a) 3:2 not ready for deep doctrine
b) 3:3 live as if never converted (divisions)
13. 3:9, 11 [According to Roman Catholics the church was built upon Peter. Why is that false?
14. 3:12-15 What do these texts teach?
15. 3:16-17 What does God do to Christians who defile their bodies?
16. . 4; all JUDGING. What does “Do not judge before the time” mean?
17. 5:1-12 CHURCH DISCIPLINE. Why was Paul angry at the Church?
18. 6:1-8 USING CIVIL COURTS TO SUE FELLOW CHRISTIANS: What did Paul say?
19. 6:9-10 (Rev 21:8) list of unrighteous. Will covetous persons and liars be saved? _____ How do we explain our answer ____________ __________
20. 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are _________, but ye are _________, but ye are __________ in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. Heb 8:12
CHRISTIAN FREEDOM; LAWFUL THINGS (chapters 6 to 9)
21. 6:12-14 What does our freedom in Christ NOT prevent? _________________
22. 6:15-20 Who owns a Christian’s body?
23. 7 all; FREEDOM: CHRISIAN MARRIAGE
(1, 6-9) Chastity-eunuchs; Paul’s preference
(2-4) husbands and wives equals in sex;
(6) don’t use sex to punish, or else trouble
(12-14) do not divorce unbelieving spouse
(18-24) keep status: circumcised; vocation
(25–) stay as you are — prefer non-marriage; no sin if disagree. What does “present distress” mean?
24. 8 all; CHRISTIAN FREEDOM: OFFENDING OTHERS; “A-gri-co-la (agriculture) marketplace
8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols …” Where does Christian freedom stop?
25. 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a ___________ to them that are weak. 8:12 [Offending others is sin against _______.]
ANSWERS; 1 COR 1 TO 8
1. Corinth had a reputation of being very evil.
2. Corinth was a seaport town with people of many languages.
3. Christians are called “saints” in the Bible.
4. More problems required longer letters.
5. Paul’s boasting about not baptizing meant water baptism was not essential for salvation.
6. The “gospel” is equivalent to “the preaching of the cross.”
7. The method of Christian salvation appears as “foolishness” to most unbelievers.
8. It is foolishness to think that God would die to redeem His sinful creation.
9. The “hidden wisdom of God” has already been revealed BY HIS SPIRIT to believers NOW.
10. The natural man is the lost (unbeliever). Wilmington calls him a “corpse” because he is dead in sins.
11. The spiritual man is a believer indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Wilmington calls him the conqueror.
12. The carnal Christian is a believer who acts like he has never been saved.
13. Our texts say that Jesus Christ is the only foundation of the Church.
14. 1st Cor 3:12-16 teach that a true believer will be saved even if he/she has no good works following justification.
15. God will destroy true Christians who defile their bodies.
16. Don’t make any final judgment. Always reserve some doubt. None can know all of the facts until Jesus returns.
17. An active church member was fornicating with father’s wife. Paul said to kick him out of the church for Satan to buffet. Do not keep company w sinners or eat w them.
18. Judge your own disputes; saints will judge the world and angels
19. depends; habitual lifestyle
20. washed, sanctified, justified. God cannot remember our sins; covered by imputed righteousness.
21. consequences (guilt vs penalty of sin)
22. Christ owns our bodies; he bought them at Calvary; “bought with a price”
23. “Present distress” refers to the illegal status and persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire.
24. Christian freedom stops where we begin to offend others and keep them from being saved.
25. stumbling-block, Christ