VICTORY BAPTIST CHURCH
BIBLE INSTITUTE, VBCBI
JEREMIAH (629-584) 21-52, LAMENTATIONS
JEREMIAH AND LAMENTATIONS
Victory Baptist Church Bible Institute
3rd year, 2nd semester
This is a faith ministry. Your assistance is appreciated.
JEREMIAH 21-52 (QUESTIONS 13-37)
13. 21:4+ How did Jeremiah reply to King Zedekiah?
14. In Chapter 22 Jeremiah is at the king’s house warning the next two kings, Jehoiachin (608) (Shallum) and Jeconiah of total destruction. 23:5
14. Though mostly a condemnation of false prophets, who does chapter 23 describe ruling over a returned remnant?
Chapter 24 is about punishment and restoration using baskets of figs for illustrations. The king is carried away.
Chapter 25 (608 B. C.) begins the 70 year exile of Judah. Jeremiah says his prophecies were being fulfilled.
15. In chapter 26:16-18 _______ and ______ opposed Jeremiah and the _______ and _________ protected him. An elder quoed the prophet _______.
Chapter 27 predicts the fall of all surrounding nations.
Chapter 28 is Hananiah’s false prophecy.
Chapter 29 is God’s punishment of false prophets and priests.
Chapter 30 is God’s promise of restoration of all Israel after the captivity.
During the final siege of Jerusalem in 586 B. C., chapter 31 predicts New Covenant restoration to both Israel and Judah.
16. Which Baptist doctrine does 31:11 sound like?
31:11 For the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and ransomed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he.
NOTABLE TEXT: 31:15 Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rachel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.
17. Where is 31:31-34 found in the New Testament?
18. 31:31 Whom will the New Covenant be made with primarily?
19. 31:32 Will the New Covenant be a repeat of the Old Covenant?
20: 31:34 Will priests, Levites and prophets be necessary in the New Covenant?
21. 31:35-37; 33:15-26 What unconditional promises are to Israel and Judah?
22. In chapter 32 why did Jeremiah (while in prison) buy land from King Zedekiah’s uncle?
33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. 33:4-5 (bad); 33:6-26 (very good)
23. 34:14 Which un-holy act does Jeremiah condemn in this chapter?
24. 35 Why were the Rechabites so blessed?
25. 36 (604-603 B. C.) Who was Baruch and what did he do?
26. 37 Why was Jeremiah thrown into a dungeon?
27. 38 Where was Jeremiah when Jerusalem fell in 586 B. C.?
28. 39 What did the King of Babylon do to King Zedekiah?
29. 39 What did the King of Babylon do to Jeremiah?
Chapters 40-41 are about the murder of Governor Gedaliah by Ishmael.
Chapter 42: The poor remnant under Johanan promises to obey God’s conditions for peace, change their minds and are promised death and destruction in Egypt.
30. 43 What two things happen in chapter 43?
Chapter 44 promises punishment to the (very arrogant) remnant which fled to Egypt.
Chapters 45-46 are the prophesied destruction of Egypt.
31. 46:27-28 What does God again promise to Israel and Judah?
Chapter 48 is about the destructions of the Philistines in Gaza and Ashkelon.
Chapter 49 is about the destruction of Moab, Ammon, Edom, Syria and Elam.
Chapter 50 is about the destruction of Babylon.
32. What prophetic theme is repeated in 50:4-7, 17-20 and 51:5?
33. 51:11 Who does Jeremiah predict will destroy Babylon?
Chapter 51:19-2 is about God’s use of Israel to break other nations.
Chapter 52 condenses the fate of Jerusalem from King Zedekiah to the end.
34. What is Lamentations about?
35. Lam 2:22 Who was punished on this “day of the LORD”?
36. Lam 4:6 How can this be true?
37. Lam 5:21 Why will God hear this final plea?
ANSWERS: JEREMIAH AND LAMENTATIONS
13. 21″4+ God will fight against Zedekiah and Jerusalem and destroy it.
14. 23:5 “A righteous Branch of David”
15. 26:16-18 priests, prophets; princes, people; Micah
16. 31:11 eternal security
17. Hebrews 8:8-13
18. 31:31 the house of Israel and the house of Judah
19. 31:32 no
20. 31:34 no
35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me forever.
37 Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.
33:15-26 keep the Davidic Covenant
22. To teach that the land would be inhabited by the remnant of Israel and Judah.
23. 34:14 Israel and Judah had not kept the 7th-year Sabbath which required the release of Hebrew slaves after 6 years.
24. 35 Unlike everybody else, the Rechabites obeyed their ancestral father.
25. 36 Baruch wrote all of Jeremiah’s words, read them in the Temple, lost them for burning by Jehoiakim and re-wrote them again, plus more.
26. 37 The Soldiers found him outside the walls of Jerusalem and thought he was defecting to the Babylonians.
27. 38 He was in a third prison (from dungeon to dungeon to prison).
28. 39 Zedekiah was blinded after watching his family and the nobles killed; he was taken to Babylon to die.
29. 39 Jeremiah was freed to live among the poor under Governor Gedaliah.
30. 43 Jeremiah is forced to go to Egypt. He predicts Babylon will defeat Egypt and kill the fleeing remnant.
31. 46 Restoration
32. Restoration of Israel and Judah.
33. Medes (who later joined the Persians)
34. Crying over devastated Jerusalem.
35. God’s people were punished.
36. Lam 4:6 degrees of punishment in hell
37. Lam 5:21 God promised though a vow and an oath that He will keep His unconditional covenant with Abraham. Eze 36:22; Dan 9:19; Heb 6:17 God confirmed his promise with an oath