VICTORY BAPTIST CHURCH
BIBLE INSTITUTE, VBCBI
GOSPELS, TESTS 1-6, QUESTIONS 1-65; VBCBI
VICTORY BAPTIST CHURCH
Teacher: Russell Earl Kelly, PHD
Semester One: Jan – May 2016
Textbook: Wilmington’s Guide to the Bible (p212-275)
GOSPELS: TEST 1; P212-216
1. Which are the synoptic gospels?
a. Matthew, Mark, John
b. Matthew, Luke, John
c. Mathew, Mark, Luke
d. Mark, Luke, John
2. What aspects of Jesus’ character are best symbolized by the 4 Gospels?
a. He is God, King, Man and Servant
b. He is God, Prophet, Priest and Judge
c. He is God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit
d. He is a Lion, Man, Ox and Eagle
3. Which Gospel has more One-on-One encounters?
4. Which Gospel focuses most on the Davidic side of Jesus?
5. Which Gospel focuses more on Gentiles?
6. Which Gospel most often refers to Jesus as the Son of God?
7. Why are there two different genealogies in the Gospels?
b. One is Joseph’s through David and Solomon
c. One is Mary’s through David and Nathan, Solomon’s brother
d. B and C
8. Matthew 1 and Luke 3 both contain 42 generations from Abraham to David.
9. Why are John and Luke’s prefaces so different?
a. The Holy Spirit inspired it to be that way.
b. John’s is about God declaring the deity of Christ.
c. Luke’s is inspired man bearing eyewitness to what God did.
d. All of the above.
10. How is Acts linked to Luke?
a. It is not linked
b. Luke wrote both under inspiration
c. Acts repeats the same story as the Gospels
d. Acts is before Calvary; Luke is after Calvary
11. There are 42 men in Matthew 1. Why are there only 5 women?
a. All 5 women were always examples to follow
b. All 5 women were in Jesus’ lineage before marriage
c. All 5 women were questionable links in Messiah’s genealogy
d. All 5 women were Gentiles before marriage
12. Who is Gabriel and what is his rank?
13. Zacharias was a priest and father of __________________
14. From where did Jesus get His deity? ____________Cite a text____________
15. Is Jesus humanity more like Adam before or after Adam sinned?
GOSPELS, TEST 2, Pages 216-221
16. ISAIAH 7:4 READS “VIRGIN” HEBREW: ALMAH
a. “Almah” can also refer to a young woman.
b. “Parthenos” in Mt 1:23 only means “chaste woman”
c. Mary remained chaste before and after Jesus’ birth
d. a and b
17. We call Jesus “Jesus” because
a. That is his name in every language.
b. “Jesus” comes from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English
c. Joshua is not called Jesus in the New Testament
d. The Hebrew for Jesus does not mean Jehovah has saved.
18. From Matthew 1:23, Joseph knew her not UNTIL she brought forth her
a. This is literally true.
b. Joseph had normal relations afterwards.
c. Jesus “brethren” were from Joseph and Mary.
d. All of the above
19. Why did Mary call Jesus “My Savior” in Luke 1:47?
a. She was a sinner and sinned
b. She did not intend to speak those words
c. It is part of the Roman Catholic doctrines.
d. It was merely a figure of speech
20. Zecharias included the “House of David” in Luke 1:70
a. He believed God was about to forever disinherit Israel
b. He believed the Church was the new House of David
c. He believed God’s literal promises to literal Israel.
d. This was part of a memorized praise with no real meaning.
21. John the Baptist fulfilled prophecy preparing Israel for Messiah.
a. Because he was one of an ever-present line of prophets
b. He skillfully made his life agree with the prophecy
c. It was a coincidence
d. God guided his birth just as He guided Jesus’ birth
22. God gives believers only one kind of power
a. Yes, explosive power like dynamite (the Greek word)
b. Yes, and He commands us to be witness with power.
c. He gives us authority but no real Spirit power.
d. He gives us both dynamite and authoritative power
23. Jesus was probably born after fall harvest
a. Which is the best time to tax
b. When shepherds of Israel were still in the fields
c. A and B
d. Yes, on December 25, to mock the birth of the Sun god
24. Baby Jesus was wrapped in swaddling clothes
a. To keep his bones straight
a. So his mother did not have to attend him
c. Because Joseph and Mary were wealthy
d. They looked cute
25. Women had to wait longer to be purified for female babies.
b. The Law makes no mention of the custom.
c. Yes, the law required it.
d. It was a meaningless custom in the Bible.
GOSPELS; Test 3, Steps 1-9; p221-227
26. SIMEON’S PRESENCE IN THE TEMPLE; Step 2; P223
A. WAS NEVER REFUTED BY JESUS’ CRITICS
B. PROVED THAT MESSIAH WAS EXPECTED SOON
C. MAY INDICATE HE STUDIED DANIEL 9
D. ALL OF THE ABOVE
27. THE WISE MEN; Step 4; P223
A. WERE NOT PAGAN ASTROLOGERS
B. PROBABLY CAME FROM CHINA
C. PROBABLY WORSHIPPED ONE GOD, ZORASTER WITH A GOOD AND BAD SIDE
D. DEFINITELY FOLLOWED THE STAR TO BETHLELHEM
28. FRANKINCENSE; Step 4; P223
A. COULD SYMBOLIZE JESUS HUMANITY
B. WAS SMOKED BY WEALTHY WISE MEN
C. COULD SYMBOLIZE THE PRAYERS OF SAINTS
D. A AND C
29. “OUT OF EYGPT I HAVE CALLED MY SON”; Step 6; P225
A. REFERS TO BOTH ISRAEL AND JESUS
B. ONLY REFERS TO O.T. NATIONAL ISRAEL
C. HAS NO RELEVANCE TO HEBREWS 10:4-6
D. IS NOT AN EXAMPLE OF TYPOLOGY
30. JESUS “INCREASED IN WISDOM”; Step 8; P226
A. COULD ONLY MEAN JESUS WAS NOT SELF-AWARE OF HIS
IDENTITY AS A BABY
B. COULD ONLY MEAN THAT JESUS GRADUALLY BECAME AWARE OF HIS IDENTITY
C. PROVES THAT JESUS WAS NOT ALL-KNOWING
D. NONE OF THE ABOVE
31. WHERE DID JESUS PROBABLY GO AT AGE 12? Step 7; P225
A. TO THE INNER TEMPLE TO SPEAK WITH LEVITES AND PRIESTS
B. TO BOOTHS SURROUNDING THE INNER TEMPLE TO SPEAK WITH
C. TO THE COURT OF THE GENTILES TO SPEAK WITH JEWISH AND
D. THE BIBLE TELLS US THE ANSWER CLEARLY
32. JOHN REFUSED TO BAPTIZE JESUS
A. BECAUSE HE WAS AFRAID OF HIM
B. BECAUSE HE WAS JEALOUS OF HIM
C. BECAUSE GOD TOLD HIM JESUS WAS SINLESS
D. BECAUSE JESUS WOULD NOT REPENT BEFORE HIM; Step 9; P226
33. JOHN BAPTIZED JESUS; Step 9; P226
A. BECAUSE JESUS TOLD HIM TO DO IT
B. BECAUSE IT WAS NECESSARY
C. BECAUSE HE WAS A GOOD MAN
D. A and B
34. IT WAS NECESSARY FOR JESUS TO BE BAPTIZED; Mt 3:15
A. SO THAT CHRIST’S IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS CAN BE THE
B. BECAUSE OUR WATER BAPTISM IS ESSENTIAL FOR OUR SALVATION
C. BECAUSE WE ARE SAVED BY CHRIST’S EXAMPLE
D. BECAUSE THE HOLY SPIRIT DOES NOT INDWELL THE BELIEVER AT THE MOMENT OF JUSTIFICATION.
35. “BAPTISM DOTH ALSO NOW SAVE US,” 1 PET 3:21; Matthew 3:11
A. REFERS TO OUR BAPTISM BY IMMERSION
B. REFERS TO WASHING OF THE FILTH OF THE FLESH
C. REFERS TO OUR CLEAR CONSCIENCE AT THE MOMENT OF SALVATION
4. HAS NO RELEVANCE TO JESUS’ BAPTISM
GOSPELS TEST #4, Steps 10-17; Pages 226-231
36. Jesus was tempted (Step 10, p226)
a. Exactly as we are tempted
b. Not to use his deity to resist.
c. To avoid Calvary
d. To turn to the Father by faith
e. c and d
37. Satan quoted the Word of God (Step 10, p226)
a. Out of context
b. In context
c. he did not compare other Scriptures
d. A. and C.
38. The Holy Spirit fully enters the believer (Eph 1:13; 4:30)
a. Only after a period of growth in sanctification
b. At the moment one is saved (justification)
c. But the believer can subsequently remove the Spirit by habitual sin
d. because mankind’s body already belongs to God by creation
39. Jesus called Peter a stone; Step 11, p228 (Mt 16:16-18)
a. to build the church upon him
b. the reason would become clear later
c. because Peter was a rock of a man
d. because Peter would lead the first Jerusalem church
40. Jesus told Nathaniel he would see angels ascending and descending upon the Son of man; Step 12; p228
a. referred to His ascension per D. Kelly
b. referred only to Jacob’s ladder
c. may refer to Jesus’ daily communication with heaven
d. does not refer to Jesus as our Mediator
41. Best comment: Jesus turned water into wine at Cana; Step 13; p229
a. wine was used to purify unhealthy water
b. wine was not distilled and was very low alcohol
c. drunkenness is a sin
d. Since a little alcohol often leads to drunkenness, it is unwise to
drink it today (Rom 12:1-2)
42. When Jesus cleansed the temple; Step 15; p230
a. Others should have done the same before He did
b. The moneychangers were abusing the people
c. a and b
d. Jesus was performing an illegal act
43. The gospel (John 3); Step 15; p230
a. Is a judgment message
b. Brings God’s end-time verdict to the present time (Heb 9:27)
c. “He that believeth not is condemned already” is true
d. All of the above.
44. All have an appointment to stand before God to account for sins (Heb 9:27); Step 15; p230
a. No longer applies to believers
b. Is still valid if Hebrews 9:27 is literally true
c. Was kept for us by Jesus if Hebrews 9:28 is literally true.
d. Believers will never stand before God for anything.
e. a and c
45. The Samaritans of John 4; Step 17; p230-231
a. Worshipped 2 golden calves as YAHWEH.
b. Replaced most of northern Israel around 722 B.C.
c. a, b and d
d Only accepted Genesis through Deuteronomy as inspired canon
Gospels: Test 5; Steps: 17-26 (231-233)
46. “ONE DRINK, NEVER THIRST: JN 4:14; Step 17; p230-231
a. means that one can fall from grace
b. refers to drinking water
c. means that one cannot fall from grace
d. refers to water baptism
47. THE JUBILEE PASSAGE JESUS QUOTED, ISA 61:1-2a; LK 4:18; Step 19; p231
a. refers to every 50th year
b. refers to both physical and spiritual release from bondage
c. was fulfilled in the Person of Jesus Christ
d. all of the above
48. JESUS TOOK OUR INFIMITIES, ISA 53:4; Step 20; p231-232
a. only refers to Calvary
b. occurred when virtue went out from Jesus to heal
c. refers to goodness and grace from Christ
d. B and C
49. WHEN JESUS TOUCHED THE LEPER; Step 21; p233
a. The Son of God became defiled
b. He remained clean (i.e. the sacrificial exception)
c. all who touched lepers become defiled
d. Jesus was not an exception to the general rule
50. JESUS WAS ACCUSED OF BLASPHEME; Step 22; p233
a. because He disagreed with the Pharisees
b. because He forgave sins as God
c. because only priests could forgive sins
d. because He broke the Law of Moses
51 THE SEVENTH DAY SABBATH OF THE LAW; Step 23; p233
a. was commanded to all mankind
b. was commanded to Old and New Covenant Hebrews
c. was a sign of God’s (Old) Covenant with Israel, Ex 31:13-18
d. did not end at Calvary
52. IT WAS UNLAWFUL TO HEAL ON THE SABBATH; Step 24; p233
a. God commanded only rest on the Sabbath
b. acts of necessary mercy were exempted
c. this was an interpretation of the Pharisees
d. all of the above
53. THE EVIL SPIRITS KNEW WHO JESUS WAS; Step 25; p233
a. because Satan told them
b. because they had previously known Him as unfallen angels
c. they wanted to speed up Jesus’ ministry
d. believers need to listen to evil spirits
54. MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE AND JOHN; Step 25; p233-234
a. only contain Old Covenant context (black)
b. only contain New Covenant context (white)
c. contain both Old and New Covenant context (grey)
d. none of the above
55. THE NEW COVENANT BEGAN
a. the moment Jesus died on Calvary
b. where my Bible says it began —at Matthew 1:1
c. during the Lord’s Supper proclamation
d. at Pentecost when the Holy Spirit officially descended
Gospels, Test 6, Steps 28-30; P235-242
56. The “Lord’s Prayer” in Matthew 6:9-15
A. is indeed the “Lord’s Prayer”
B. is actually the “Model” or “Disciples Prayer”
C. is actually the unsaved “Sinner’s Prayer”
D. has no relevance to Jesus’ prayer in John 17
57. “God-fearers” refers to:
A. non-Hebrew worshippers of the true God
b. Hebrew believers
c. Pharisees who became Christians
d. Gentiles who are not saved
58. Pharisees: Step 27; p235
A. believed in the resurrection of the dead
B. like Roman Catholics, added their own tradition to inspiration
C. were easier to convert than Sadducees
D. all of the above
59. “Salvation is by grace through faith alone”:
A. is only true after Calvary
B. is only taught by Conservative Baptists
C. is true for every born-again (saved) person
D. was not true under the Old Covenant Law
60. “BLASPHEME AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT”; Step 27; p235
A. refers to unpardoned sins of unbelievers
B. does not apply after Calvary
C. is the sin of unlawful re-marriage
D. is only committed by Jewish Pharisees
61. BEEL-ZE-BUB; Step 27; p235
A. was the Canaanite “Lord of the flies”
B. was part of one (of many) pagan trinities
C. did not cast devils out of his own house
D. All of the above
62 UNLIKE ALLEGORIES, PARABLES: Step 38E; p238
A. only taught one spiritual truth
B. everything in a parable had a hidden meaning
C. the story of Lazarus and the rich man was neither
D. A and C
63. AFTER JESUS STOPPED THE STORM AT SEA, PETER ASKED “WHAT KIND OF MAN IS THIS?”; Step 29; p239
A. B, C and D
B. Peter was still learning about Jesus
C. We will need eternity to grasp the depth of God’s love
D. 2 Cor 3:18 is a relevant text here
64. WHEN JESUS SAID IN LUKE 5:32 “I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance”; Step 30A, p239
A. Pharisees were already righteous and saved and did not need His teaching
B. only lower-class prostitutes and the poor would accept His teaching
C. Pharisees were self-righteous and could not be saved until they admitted they were lost sinners
D. all of the above
65. WHEN JESUS RAISED JAIRUS’ DAUGHTER FROM THE DEAD
A. it was a common miracle for true prophets
B. such miracle had not occurred since Elisha’s time (2 Kings 4:35)
C. she had really only been in a deep sleep
D. reputable newspapers report faith healers doing this even today